Good Medicine

I am happy to report that I did make it out for my run this morning.  16 miles completed!  I don’t know the exact stats because I was using Ron’s Garmin for the first time and I didn’t quite have the hang of it.  My Garmin is on it’s last legs after a little over 2 years of faithful service.  It still works, it just doesn’t hold a charge for more than about an hour.  I can use it during the week but on a 16 miler I knew the battery would die.

Our Galloway group runs at at 3:1 ratio.  I was trying to set Ron’s Garmin up to beep after 3 minuets and then again after one minute.  I wasn’t successful so after a few miles into our run, I just gave up.  What we do is run for 3 minutes and then walk for 1 minute and then repeat.  Since I was running with the group, it wasn’t critical that my watch worked.  Plenty of other people had theirs on so I could hear the beeps perfectly.  We have about 30-40 people in our group.  We are called the Wanna Beasts and are in the 10:30 pace group.  The Raleigh Galloway group is one of the largest in the nation and our entire group with all the different pace groups is up to around 500 members strong.

Today we ran on the Capital Area Greenway 5 miles out and then 5 miles back.  After the 10 miles the people that were training for a half marathon departed and then we headed back out.  There were 3 of us today that were shooting for 16 miles so after 3 more miles in we turned around.  Everyone else kept on truckin’ and then some turned around after 4 miles and some ended up doing the entire course again and logged 20 miles.



We have run on the Greenway many times so far this season and I just love that it is so shaded.  Keeping the sun at bay this summer has been a huge help.  The only thing that I really don’t like about the Greenway is that there are a few tunnels that you have to go through.  Some of them are a little narrow for my taste and relatively long.  With a group of 40 people going through them all at once, I get a little dizzy at times.  Luckily today our group leader had us walk through all of the tunnels.

I think my time for the 16 miles was around 3 hours and 30 minutes.  I was glad to have completed the 16 miles but I can’t say I was all that happy with my time.  All day long I have been moping around the house feeling sorry for myself.  I thought I was so much slower than I was 2 years ago when I was training for my first marathon.  About an hour ago, I was looking through my old times on the computer and I saw that on 9-18-10, I ran 16 miles with a time of 3:25:32.  Almost exactly like my time from today.  (With a Garmin, you download all your runs onto the computer.  I’ve saved all my old stats.)  I’ve got to stop being so hard on myself!  I think I just wrote recently that how fast I was didn’t matter.  I think I mentioned that I need to just be happy that I have my health and that I’m able to run.  This is supposed to be a hobby isn’t it?  Aren’t hobbies supposed to be joyful?

I want to improve but I want to have fun more.  I’m really gonna work on this!

Here are 2 funny things I heard today:

“Hills?  No problem, I’ve never met a hill I couldn’t walk up.”


“Hay!  You can’t be slower than me.  I’m a professional!”

I think these people have got the whole hobby and joyful thing down!   Smile

Now for an update on the patient.  He’s been really quiet today and has slept a lot!  I think he’s going a little stir crazy already.  He’s still doing really great but I can tell he can’t wait to get back to normal.

I made a very tasty dinner again tonight.  It was pasta fagioli which just means an Italian bean soup served over pasta.  I dvr the tv show Totally Vegetarian and that’s where I got the recipe.  I searched their website for the recipe but I couldn’t find it anywhere.  So, I just sat down in front of the tv and wrote it out.

104_5792 (2)

I was out of pasta so I substituted couscous.  Couscous are pearls of small balls of toasted semolina flour.  These tricolor ones were flavored with spinach and tomato.

104_5794 (2)

All you do is chop up one stalk of celery, 2 carrots, and one onion.  Sauté’ them in 2 TBSP of EVOO.  After they cook a bit, add some garlic.  Then after the garlic cooks a little, add some sage, rosemary, and dried oregano.  You were supposed to have fresh sage and rosemary but I used dry.  Next, add one can of beans of your choice, one can of tomatoes, and 3 cups of water.  Cover and simmer for about 20 minutes.

While that is simmering, cook your pasta.  In my case, I cooked the couscous.

Serve your soup over the pasta.  The lady on Totally Vegetarian suggested a cool topping made by grilling some bread crumbs in EVOO and adding garlic and crushed almonds.  I wanted to skip this step but Ron wouldn’t hear of it.  We used some Ezekiel 4:9 cereal for the bread crumbs and substituted mixed nuts for the almonds.  That topping was the bomb!

I was pretty hungry and I dug into my bowl before I snapped a picture.  The picture above was a staged one that I set up after dinner.  I only made 2 servings of couscous so that’s why it is missing in the picture.  The topping was all gone too.  Ron had a second bowl and he just dumped all the topping in.  He loved it.

Happy Running!  Happy Eating!

and remember

“A cheerful heart is good medicine, but a crushed spirit dries up the bones.”  Proverbs 17:22

Goodnight Friends!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s